The Diocese of Jhansi comprises of the civil districts of Jhansi, Banda, Chitrakoot, Hamirpur, Jalaun, Lalitpur, and Mahoba in Uttar Pradesh. In 1929, the four districts of UP (Lalitpur was a part of Jhansi, Mahoba was a part of Hamirpur and Chitrakoot was a part of Banda) were entrusted as a Mission to the Capuchins of the Maltese Province, who had been working in the diocese of Allahabad alongside the confreres the Bolognese Fathers since 1929.
By a decree of Pope Pius XII, Ad Evangelicam Veritatem, dated January 12,1940, this mission was detached from the Allahabad Diocese and erected into a prefecture. On account of World War II, it remained orphaned of its prefect till January 21,1946.
On July 5, 1954, the prefecture was raised to the status of a diocese by the decree In Prefectura Apostolica, and Msgr. F.X. Fenech ofm cap, then Prefect Apostolic, became the first Bishop of Jhansi. In 1963, Msgr. Baptist Mudartha was nominated as Bishop Auxiliary to Bishop Fenech and in August 1967 Bishop Mudartha was installed as the first Indian Bishop of Jhansi.
The civil districts of Bhind, Datia, Gwalior, Morena, Shivpuri and Sheopur in Madhya Pradesh were cut off for the creation of Gwalior Diocese on February 10, 1999. Rt. Rev. Joseph Kaithathara, a priest of the diocese of Jhansi was appointed as the first bishop of Gwalior.